Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Arrest for hopping onto home WiFi

#108 I had to double take when I read this one. I recently installed a WiFi network for my new ADSL link at home and when I searched for the newly installed access point for the first time I saw my two neighbours' AP's - unprotected. I still joked with my wife that I could cancel our ADSL line and use the neighbours' WiFi networks to jump onto their links!

Then I came accross this article - A man who allegedly accessed a home Wi-Fi network in St. Petersburg, Florida, from a parked car got logged off the hard way: He was arrested and charged with a felony. Benjamin Smith III, 40, was arrested on April 21 outside the home of Richard Dinon and charged under a Florida law that prohibits unauthorized access to a computer or network.

I kid you not!
Rate this post: (Provided by NewsGator)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

I'm glad that these kinds of laws are in place, and that I have a secured wireless network.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger Joost said...

Surely you're joking(?)

You think it's ok if you can get arrested for accessing an open wifi network?
I have actually been troubleshooting a wifi connection for a friend when I found out he was not using his own, but his neighbours connection. Would you want to proscecute this?

Also, when I turn on my PDA it automaticaly registers to the first available (and open) WiFi network.

And finaly, we have a growing community of people who specifically keep their networks open to enable different people (and themselves) to use wireless networks wherever they are.

I would state that anyone who keeps his/her wifi network open is actually offering internet connectivity to anonymous users. Even accessing local hosts would not necessarily be a crime, if those services were offered normally (ie: web is ok, using exploits obviously is not)

J.

Monday, August 08, 2005 4:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home